Family and personal law

Frequently asked questions

How long will it take to buy my new house?

How long will it take to sell my house?

Should I get a survey?

What searches do you carry out?

How much will the deposit be on a purchase, and when will I have to pay it?

What happens if I change my mind?

What is Exchange of Contracts?

What is Completion and when do I get the keys to my new property?

What about the other disbursements i.e. Stamp Duty, estate agent and home insurance?

My tenant has not paid the rent. Can I throw him out ?

How long will it take to evict my tenant ?

How much will it cost to take possession proceedings ?

I want to extend my lease. How much will it cost ?

Do I need a solicitor to deal with my lease extension ?

Conveyancing & Residential Property

Our conveyancing and residential property service can support you whether you are buying or selling a house, renegotiating a lease, organising equity release and more.

Our experienced property solicitors understand that residential property matters can represent some of the most signficant transactions you ever undertake.

That's why we've designed a personal conveyancing and residential property service to support you every single step of the way.

Conveyancing Solicitors

As you would expect, the service delivered by our conveyancing solicitors is a world away from call-centre box ticking.

It is a service characterised by efficiency, expertise and experience; one in which communications between all parties is an absolute priority.

Perhaps most importantly of all, we pride ourselves on our client / solicitor relationship, meaning you can usually talk directly to the solicitor who is dealing with your transaction. This means that from your initial contact with one of our conveyancing solicitors to the day you complete on your transaction, we will be available to guide and advise you.

We act for most major mortgage lenders at no additional cost, and our our commitment to quality service is the same whether you are buying or selling your first home or dealing in multi-million pound properties.

Residential Property Solicitors

As well as conveyancing, our residential property solicitors can help you:

  • Manage the relationship with your landlord, including changing or extending your lease, or recovering a deposit
  • Manage relationships with tenants, including debt / rent recovery and eviction
  • Sell land, including back garden land, for development
  • Organise equity release
  • Organise a power of attorney to allow you to manage property sales and purchase on someone else’s behalf
  • Purchase your freehold (freehold enfranchisement)
  • Draw up Declarations of Trust (or Trust Deed)
  • Transact Transfers of Equity

We can provide quotes by phone, letter or e-mail and will give a breakdown on the disbursements that you might expect to incur such as Stamp Duty Land Tax, Land Registry fee and search fees to name a few.

Click here to contact one of our team today, and start to look forward to a less stressful move.

Or click here to read more about our approach to family and personal law.

Maureen Murtagh Jackie Roberts Gillian Thompson

Key People

Name: Maureen Murtagh
Position: Partner, property
T: 01483 467 411

Name: Jackie Roberts
Position: Licensed Conveyancer
T: 01483 302 463

Name: Gillian Thompson
Position: Associate Solicitor, property
T: 01483 467 498

"The whole [conveyancing] process was undertaken efficiently and we were kept informed as to the progress of the sale at all stages. We were very pleased at how smoothly and speedily the matter was handled by your team."

We are proud to hold the Law Society's Conveyancing Quality Standard (CQS)

Conveyancing in Guildford

We are also on the approved panels of all major mortgage lenders.

Read our blog, Legal Eye, for the latest news and updates on residential property issues.

1st Floor, Wonersh House,
The Guildway,
Old Portsmouth Road,
Surrey GU3 1LR

Tel: 01483 302 345
Fax: 01483 301 339
DX: 146540 Guildford 8

© 2017 DMH Stallard

Legal Notices